Let us help you reunite with your lost love.
It can happen to any of us. We leave a door open while carrying in groceries, our dog sees a squirrel and breaks through a fence, our toddler thinks the cat needs to have a backyard picnic. No matter what the circumstances, pets can sometimes become lost in a short amount of time, and our goal is to help them get back home just as quickly. Many lost pets make their way to the Humane Society of Southern Wisconsin through caring citizens and local law enforcement agencies whose municipalities have contracts with us as the local stray-holding facility. While no one wants to think of their furry family member in a shelter environment, you can rest assured, our caring staff welcomes them with open, loving arms.
What to do if your furry family member is out on the town.
- Of course, search your area first. In most cases your pet has not gone far. Indoor cats are usually hiding within 3-4 houses on either side of where they got out. Ask neighbors if you can take a look around their property. Your pet may be within hearing distance but not come out when you call out of fear of the big wide world – you know, the world that looked a whole lot smaller behind the window.
- Call or visit us to fill out a lost report. We’ll ask you some questions about your pet's physical description, the area s/he went missing, and your contact information. We can then check to see if your pet made its way to us and tell you about any reports of found animals made by other community members.
- Bring a photo with you when you come to the shelter, or email one to us.
- Put up posters with your pet's description and your contact information. Also ask local vet clinics if you can post flyers in their lobbies or reception areas.
- YOU are your pet's best chance at being reunited. Come visit us as often as you like and ask to see our stray animal area. We review pets and lost reports daily, but you are the best identifier of your pet.
- If it’s your dog that’s lost, be sure to visit FidoFinder, or Lost Dogs of Wisconsin, too.
Strays at the Shelter
November 4, 2017 (11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.) - November 5, 2017
We have so many great pets waiting for their forever homes! A couple of our amazing volunteers will be at Petco with some available animals who want to...
December 14, 2017 (6 - 9pm) -
Join the Humane Society of Southern Wisconsin for Mutts & Martinis, a night of specialty martinis, appetizers, raffle items, and live music, December 14th from 6-9pm.<...
News & Announcements
It was a story with all the makings of a heartwarming family flick: a heartless owner throws a cute puppy off a...
JANESVILLE—The Humane Society of Southern Wisconsin has planned a free adoption event this weekend in Janesville.
From 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 14, the humane...